Valletta - Churches



A 1949 photo showing the corner of the Auberge de Castille and the church of Santa Caterina d'Italia
A 1949 photo showing the corner of the Auberge de Castille and the church of Santa Caterina d'Italia
This used to form part of the Auberge d’Italie this meaning the palace or house in which the Knights of the Order of St John coming from Italy used to live altogether. Before the name was changed to Castille Square by the British administration in Malta, the square was called Pjazza Regina, while what is now Pjazza Regina was formerly Pjazza Tezoreria. A similar plaque was fixed on the other side of the square, on the corner with St. Paul’s Street. Some streets and squares in Valletta changed name several times, some of which changes also took place during French Rule in Malta.
Ta' Liesse Church
Ta' Liesse Church
A postcard showing Ta' Liesse Church on the left, and the ship chandler shops all the way up the hill to Victoria Gate. Image courtesy of Ray Pisani.
St Paul's Shipwreck Church
St Paul's Shipwreck Church
St Paul’s Shipwreck Church in St Paul’s Street, designed by Girolamo Cassar and completed in Dec. 1582 however a new church was started in 1639. The church's facade was rebuilt in 1885 to the design of Nicola Zammit. One of Valletta’s three parish churches, St Paul’s Shipwreck Church boasts a rich interior including the magnificent altarpiece by Matteo Perez d'Aleccio, the paintings by Attilio Palombi, and Giuseppe Calìand the wooden titular statue of St Paul carved in 1659 by Melchiorre Cafà, which is carried in procession during St Paul’s feast on the 10th of February.
 
The Convent of St. Catherine's
The Convent of St. Catherine's
It is found at the southern part of Republic Street and at present it serves as a monestary to the Augustinian Cloistered nuns. For more information log on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Augustinian-Cloistered-Nuns-Valletta-296811673799700/info/?tab=page_info  
Photo courtesy of the Richard Ellis Collection.
Nibbia Chapel 1
Nibbia Chapel 1
A photo of the Nibbia Chapel taken soon after the building was bombed during the last war. Photo courtesy of Heritage Malta.
Nibbia Chapel 2
Nibbia Chapel 2
The damaged Nibbia Chapel before it was inexplicably cleared away in the 1970s.